Ideas Test are looking for interested and interesting individuals to join our Board.
Ideas Test works with communities in Swale and Medway to help them lead more creative lives and feel better about themselves and where they live.
We want to recruit Board Members from all backgrounds, ages and sections of our community.
Could this be you?
Ideas Test was founded in 2013 as one of the original 21 Creative People and Places, (CPP) the Arts Council’s flagship programme for areas with less formal arts infrastructure and fewer opportunities to access great arts opportunities. CPP is an action-research programme, working with the communities of Swale and Medway in Kent.
We are now embarking on our seventh year of a ten-year programme and looking beyond that to the future.
We have recently become a Community Interest Organisation (charity) and are looking to recruit a permanent Chair and new Board Members to help us grow, innovate and reflect the communities in which we work.
Purpose of Ideas Test Board
- To offer enthusiasm, practical and strategic advice to the Ideas Test Director and team.
- To act as ambassadors for Ideas Test’s work with young people, communities and artists.
- To help maintain a dialogue with the people of Swale and Medway especially through our Cultural Champions and volunteer programme.
- To support Ideas Test through the transition to independence and life beyond CPP funding.
Attributes of a Board Member
Alongside the legal responsibilities undertaken by all Board Members, we are looking for applicants with some or all of the following:
- A preparedness to offer personal and professional skills and experience to support or mentor staff when required.
- A commitment to supporting and developing the diversity of talent, ideas and audiences in the area and particularly to develop individuals and audiences from our target communities and to fully represent the diversity of our area.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Where possible, use their reputation, profile and contacts to advocate for and advance Ideas Test’s mission.
We are seeking skilled individuals who can contribute to our mission and we are particularly keen to attract diverse representation including those aged 18 – 25 to the Board.
- Lived experience relevant to our mission and vision, including disability
- Local business, corporate networks and potential donors
- Legal expertise
- Artistic direction and strategy
- Communications and branding
- Audiences and behavioural insights/ community engagement
- Evaluation particularly in the area of social value and economic impact
This is not an exhaustive list of skills.
There are 4 Board meetings per year. Each lasts two hours and you’ll be required to read and comment on any papers or documents sent out for discussion.
A Board and staff away day will be held at least once a year to discuss and review the organisation’s Business Plan and key aims and objectives.
On occasion, attend working groups involving staff and audiences to focus on specific issues or questions.
Board Members are invited to attend and support Ideas Test events.
What’s in it for you?
The chance to make a valuable contribution to the area and to a community-led creative and cultural organisation, help realise the development of the arts infrastructure and offer in Swale and Medway and raise ambition in an area defined as being of “low engagement”.
For an informal discussion about this opportunity and about Ideas Test please contact Lucy Medhurst at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications
Deadline for applications: 10 am on Monday 14th September.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a brief covering letter (no more than one page of A4) setting out why you’re interested in joining the Board and what you may be able to contribute, for the attention of Lucy Medhurst, Director by post to:
37 – 39 Balmoral Road
or by email to email@example.com