We know that applying to things can be scary, so before Halloween, we’re taking the anguish out of applications.
In this guide, we’ll tell you how to apply to Stacy Makishi’s Social (distance) Art Club – one of Live Art Development Agency‘s (or LADA) DIY 2020 workshops by artists, for artists.
Beware – You only have until Sunday 1st November to apply!
Who can apply?
You don’t have to be ‘an artist’ to apply – take it from Stacy herself!
Stacy wants to hear from anyone who creates art who might be ‘stuck’.
We especially want to hear from you if you’re
- from a Working Class, or Benefit Class background.
- Black, Asian, Mixed Race, or from another ethnic background.
- neurodiverse (eg. Autism, ADHD, bipolar, etc)
- someone with a disability.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual or Non-Binary.
- living in either the Medway or Swale areas.
- aged between 18 to 80+.
- someone who’s never had an exhibition, or been to art school, but you still make and create art.
Don’t worry if you don’t fit in any of these categories, your application will still be considered.
If there are more applicants than places, Stacy will randomly draw names out of a hat, or another receptacle – tombola-style.
How to apply:
You only have to write a short e-letter to Stacy saying;
- How you are ‘stuck’ (either creatively or stuck indoors if you’re shielding)
- How are you missing ‘connection’
- That you can come to all sessions
- Sessions are on Saturdays on November 14th, 21st, 28th and December 5th, 12th, 19th, between 1 pm to 3 pm.
Letter file formats:
- If you have a Gmail account you can type this in Google Docs and download it as a pdf, or Word document (.doc or .docx) – see image above.
- If you have a Windows computer you can use Word, Wordpad or LibreOffice Writer.
On a Mac you can use Pages.
- You can also upload a phone photo of a handwritten letter if you’d prefer.
- You can also make a short video if that’s easier for you.
Please send your video via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com.
Visit WeTransfer’s FAQ page if you need help in uploading your video files: https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/200519246-Sending-transfers
TIP: Be yourself! You don’t have to try to impress anyone or think you have to use ‘posh art words’. This isn’t a CV or job interview, it’s a letter to a friendly artist – Stacy!
It’s also helpful to put your pronouns (EG: she/her, he/him, they/them, etc). Stacy’s pronouns are she/her.
Next: Online form!
Visit this webpage: https://thisisliveart.wufoo.com/forms/m1e0np3v07ozsyk/
This is an online form the Live Art Development Agency is hosting.
There are 3 sections.
In the first section, you will need to put
- Your name (the name you like to be called)
- Upload your letter
In the second section, you’ll have to put in your
- Email address
- Phone number
- You can also add your website or social media (like Instagram) if you want to.
- There are options to sign up to LADA’s newsletter and to be contacted about other LADA events if you want to.
In the third (and final) section is for data monitoring. You can type in answers or choose from the drop-down menu. There are also ‘prefer not to say’ options. Both LADA and Ideas Test need to report on who takes part in our events. All information put here is confidential.
If you have any issues applying to Stacy’s DIY, email firstname.lastname@example.org before 6 pm on 1st November 2020 and we’ll try to help.
We look forward to seeing you at Stacy Makishi’s Social (distance) Art Club soon!