Learn to code a simple Alexa skill (or app). Learn how a skill is built, learn to write simple Java code to make it do something, try your skill out on Amazon. This is an introductory 6-week workshop series. You can progress to our project workshops.
Alexa is a voice system that allows you to communicate with an app using your voice rather than by clicking or typing. You will get the opportunity to explore how the design of apps needs to be different when voice is used.
Workshops are designed for anyone aged 16 to 25 who wants to learn to code but either haven’t yet started or who has started but wants an opportunity to take it further and learn something new and to learn with others.
- Create Alexa skills using a graphical tool
- Learn to write, and test, simple Java code
- Learn how to connect the Java code to the skill to make it do something useful
- Get your skill online .
If you have your own laptop, you should bring that. If not, we have some we can lend you. All resources will be available online so that you can practice between sessions if you want to.
If you enjoy the workshops and want to take it further, you can progress to our project workshop series where you can work on your own projects, with our support.
The cost for the whole 6 weeks is just £10, payable at the first workshop.
The Future Coders workshops are on the following dates:
- Wednesday 17th January 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm
- Wednesday 24th January 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm
- Wednesday 31st January 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm
- Wednesday 7th February 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm
- Wednesday 14th February 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm
- Wednesday 21st February 2018 6.30 to 8.30pm