Social life marooned like Tom Hanks in Castaway?
Don’t befriend a volleyball, get social at Stacy Makishi’s Live Art Social (distance) Club!
This DIY is run in partnership with LADA.
About the workshop
Live Art Social Club is all about connection.
Connection is that oxytocin-rich-‘energy shake’ shared between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they feel they can show up and share without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship.
We’re hard-wired for connection. It’s in our skin and bones. From the time we’re born, we need connection to thrive emotionally, physically, spiritually and creatively. This is scientific fact. Unfortunately, Coronavirus is also scientific fact. And the best way to fight it is to stay away from each other.
Live Art Social (distance) Club cultivates connection.
- Connection between us.
- Connection to mystery, inspiration and creativity
- Connection to our own inner life.
For six weeks, participants will:
- Explore what happens if we drop our armour and ‘show up’ as imperfect, messy and raw.
- Recognize perfectionism as the killer of creativity. It makes starting, persisting and finishing impossible.
- Say goodbye to comparing ourselves to others.
- Realise that if we don’t use our creative gifts, it will come back and kick our ass.
- Acknowledge that if we truly love and want something (like being creative) – we have to be willing to do it badly.
- Realise that creativity is our birthright. It’s not just for the ‘naturally creative’.
- Understand that the only unique contribution that we’ll ever make in this world will be born out of our creativity.
Dates and location
The workshop will be online (via Zoom) for six Saturdays in November and December.
November 14th, 21st, 28th
December 5th, 12th, 19th
1pm – 3pm
How to apply
This workshop will focus more on ‘making good connection’ rather than making “good” art. It’s open to anyone. No experience required. Participants must be willing to ‘get real’ and ‘show up’. The project will especially prioritize those who are “stuck”. Stuck in a creative rut and or stuck at home.
To apply submit a letter via this link explaining how you are ‘stuck’ (either creatively or stuck indoors due to shielding)? How are you missing ‘connection’? Are you able to make all sessions? (dates and times above)
To apply via video please submit your recording via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Please note that there are only six slots available. If there are more than six applicants, names will be selected ‘tombola-stye’.